Monday 8 October 2012

For the love of sculpture

Woburn Abbey Gardens
 
 
I love sculpture, in all mediums and I think that is quite plain to see in my glass.  I don't do girlie, but I do do dramatic!  In my teens I was quite keen on colour, mostly clashing colours lime green with pink, purple with orange...I didn't know then that my 'clashing' colours are really 'contrasting' colour, or opposites on the colour wheel.  In painting, to get that blue or purple to sing, add a dash of orange somewhere in the painting, it will bring out the bluey purples, or add green to a red painting and watch the colours pop, I love contrasting or complimentary colours. 

When I started to draw, that was just what I wanted to do, just draw.  I wasn't interested in colour, I loved form and wanted to be able to recreate a 3D image in 2D form in graphite.  Colour came later when I was encouraged to use coloured pencils as a medium, but even then I tended to use coloured pencils with graphite or an ink pen, later using the ink to sketch with, which is my prefered way of sketching, ink and wash, and back to the simplicity of just line and form.   

Trunk Tied, Elephant sculpture focal bead


Colour still plays a part in my sculpture work, and I still love contrasting colours, like in this gorgeous baby dragon, lilac with deep green and pale blue.  I think this gorgeous dragon is very well going to go to the gallery (more on that news another time!)

Its been a busy, and wet day, here at Chez Izzybeads, I have been soaked twice, once on the dog walk and once on the trip to the post office, I have been in the studio though and made some more sculptural beads and even a trip to the vets for Iz's yearly boosters.  Both dogs go to the vets, their boosters are 6 months apart, so they both go, both times and both get weighed. Its a good way to keep a check on them.  Being big dogs and being Golden Retrievers, they have to watch their weight so they don't put too much stress on their back legs in older age.  The vet was thrilled with our Iz, perfect teeth, perfect eyes, perfect ears and perfect weight...PERFECT :O) she is a healthy 33.8kg and at 6 years old that is brilliant news.  Defi got weighed too, he has gained 4kgs and is now 31.5kg, which is about right for his age of just 2.  He should get to about 35-37kg when fully grown I reckon.

The perfect duo...Defi and Iz


Laney x
 





 

4 comments:

  1. i must find photo's of Bella and Bess, Iz is the spitting image of Bella xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love your pooches! x

    Love the history of your obsession of form, colours and how they now influence your beads.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always interesting to hear of your artistic history Laney. Your 2 doggies are a credit to you, they look so healthy. Love the photo showing them on a wooden not metal bench imitating the sculpture.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo Jo, yes please, would love to see Bella and Bess x

    Thank you Nic, I do love form and line, I am a real fan of Albrecht Durer too.

    Thank you Jane, I am going to get some pictures on here of my paintings, hopefully sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogging world :)