Sunday 30 October 2016

Art Elements Sugar Skull Challenge.



Actually I am seriously disappointed with my result from this fabulous challenge that Jen set for the Art Elements sugar skull component challenge  I had such fabulous ideas when my parcel arrived and I set the sugar skull bead aside in my studio, passing it every day as I went to the torch and musing over it each and every time.  I scoured Pinterest for amazing unique ideas and fantastized about creating this elaborate piece filled with colour.  Then the inevitable happened, the whole house was struck down with the 'man flu' that my son brought home from work and I too spent a few days on the sofa watching day time tv and being thoroughly bored but having no energy to do anything at all.


My daughter loves skulls and my original plan was to design something for her that she would wear, baring in mind that she doesn't do over the top jewellery - you should see her shoes they are seriously wacky.. but her jewellery is very minimal, so with the lack of energy and running out of time I found in my stash of beads a lovely rondelle sparkly collar bead, I wanted a crown but only found a silver plated cone bead but I did find the wire 'lacy' steampunky dangle which was once part of a pair of ear rings that I absolutely loved and kept when they went out of fashion back in the 90's...everything comes back into fashion eventually.. right?  I wired it all together with some red jewellery wire and will be giving it to my daughter on a black leather thong.  It isn't much but it is simple and effective I am just disappointed I didn't do more with Jen's bead :/  

Here is the list of the others that are taking part in the blog hop, bet theirs is better than mine!


Guest Designers
Staci Louise Smith
Karin Grosset Grange
Solange Collin
Art Elements Team
Caroline Dewison
Susan Kennedy
Laney Mead
Claire Fabian
Diana Ptaszynski
Jenny Davies-Reazor
Cathy Spivey Mendola
Lindsay Starr
Niky Sayers
Lesley Watt
Cooky Schock
Jen Cameron




15 comments:

  1. I love the sparkly collar and the cone hat and how you have used the red to tie it all together, a lot of the time less is more if the item is to be wearable (I get told this all the time by my other half as I make bigger and bigger pieces and he thinks I look more and more.... unique. I think thats a good thing he's not so sure lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to laugh reading this! It is a good thing since we need to inspire other people to be bold and brave too! ;) I can't tell you how many times a person fell in love with some big and bold earrings I made and then... bought simpler ones from me (not cheaper, just to get that out of the equation) because they didn't dare. Often I try to convince them otherwise (sometimes I also succeed and a lot of them come back often afterwards!)... because a lot of people are drawn to pieces that are fitting for their personality. The safer pieces look good, no question (and I love all what I create) but it is... just... safe? :) Not everyone loves "unique" but hey, most people smile if they see something bold and bright either way!

      Delete
  2. He looks like he's wearing a party hat, and ready to have fun! Some months just get away from you Laney, don't feel bad about it! My trick is to put the component on a cord or chain and wear it until I come up with an idea to run with - otherwise, I end up just like you, disappointed that I couldn't have a better showing. It really does help to have the piece out, on you all day, to fondle and muse over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 'crown' that you gave the sugar skull which does look a lot like a party hat! A very fun pendant to wear. I agree with Lindsay, just string it on a chain until inspiration strikes. If she doesn't wear a lot of jewelry anyway, something like a simple leather cord or chain might be perfect for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - ease up on yourself! You survived the flu, still finished a piece for the challenge - and probably had fun doing it? I think its a fun piece, and I too. love his hat. So there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand your feeling, knowing this from myself when I created something fit for a special person. But I do completely get your thoughts in the creation process and this is a fun and bright piece! That hopefully your daughter would wear. This necklace may be "simple" for you and me (not meant in a bad way, but I only wear my bolder stuff, never my more simplistic designs to be honest), but for someone wearing subdued jewelry normally, it is already quite bold and bright! Oh...and I would love to see a picture of her wearing it (if she agrees) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your piece very much. It might be simple but so elegant, I think your daughter will love it too, and will wear it very often. :)
    Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice that your daughter will enjoy your handmade work. Most of my most treasured pieces are not the most sparkly, intricate, and over the top creations, they are the simple things made with love.
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's nothing wrong with simple. Also, the fact that you were able to make anything with a house full of manflu is commendable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple is good in my book Laney and if you're making with someone in mind it has to be appropriate...it's very pretty and I bet she loves it. Hope you're all on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your design shows off the focal perfectly. I wouldn't be so hard on yourself.. I bet Charley loves it! (and I hope you're all feeling better now! x)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It may be simple but beautiful, I love the hat/cone you added, it is very cool, as is the red wire. Your daughter will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! It's totally fun and in the spirit of the bead. Also, if your daughter doesn't like complex, she wouldn't wear it. Thanks for participating! I think it's fab

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey- sometimes the bead speaks loudly enough ;) its wonderful, and very wearable

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was in Texas for two weeks, so I finally get to leave comments. I really like what you started, I don't think you should be upset! But I'm excited to see what you have coming!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogging world :)