Friday 22 December 2017

Christmas decoration challenge with Art Elements


I have had this snow globe since last year.  I brought it in a clearance in Hobby Craft round about this time last year and it has sat in a box gathering dust ever since, but in the recent 'tidy up' that my daughter insisted we do to all the cupboards in the house, including my art cupboards, we found it again.

Art Elements member Lesley offered up a challenge back in November to create a Christmas ornament.  Click HERE to read the original blog post.  So I decided to finally use the snow globe.  

I am not completely happy with how it turned out, it was a challenge working in such a confined area, usually I just 'go with the flow' whether it is with glass or illustration doodles and the size is immaterial until I am finished so starting with a defined space was something I had to get my head around. 


Back in October I created this 'bad Santa' in glass and he melted - forgive the pun - the hearts of many so I carried on with the same image for my snow globe.  

I have always loved those layered pictures you used to see when I was a child so I decided to create my snow globe Santa in that style.  At the moment he looks a little too stark, maybe he needs a background?  I am hoping to explore this style of illustration in 2018 so not only did I finish (sort of) a project that was gathering dust but I gave myself a new arty idea to persue next year.

Here are the others that took part in the challenge, hope you take a minute to look at their creations for Christmas.

13 comments:

  1. Would a Santa bead fit in the snowglobe, that would be awesome! Love your Santa, Laney! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super cute idea! It definitely made me laugh out loud. Enjoy your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic idea!1 I love your Santa in the snowglobe. I think Sue has a great idea-make a glass Santa or dog or dragon to fit into a snowglobe!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a saucy Santa and I agree he should have a globe. Merry Christmas & happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your snow globe as it is but I also have to agree that one of your sculptural beads would look terrific inside! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh he is too funny! That Santa is mischievous. That about an illustrated fireplace in there for him to toast his buns?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just so you know, the first comment from Caroline is Lesley, we've managed to get our accounts mixed up somehow... this is the real me! I love your snow globe, your illustration is brilliant, he looks a bit chilly in there though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Santa in a snow globe is a sweet idea. A couple of reindeers to keep him company maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow globes are so much fun and a bad Santa in one is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome idea. The glass Santa is adorable and I do love the way you assembled the Santa in the snowglobe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute idea. Love the 3d illustration and the glass Santa too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny Santa in a classic snow globe! Made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogging world :)