Tuesday 31 October 2017

October Component of the Month with the Art Elements team.


This month, October, was the turn of Art Elements Blog member Niky Sayers to host the Component of the  Month and she created these amazing coin clasps.  Each one features a hare and has been hammered into shape before attaching the clasp fastening.  It was love at first sight.


Before it even got to me I knew what I wanted to do.  Life has got in the way a bit (when hasn't it just lately!) of experimenting and playing but in my head this was much bigger than it became and of course it is un-finished but I am working on it still.


I knew mine would be a story of a hare.  It was around the same time that I walked my dogs, as normal, down at the river in the morning but we were early one day and as we quietly - for a change! - entered the fields there sat looking across the river and into the early morning sunshine was a bunny rabbit.  He sat there for what seemed like ages and luckily my dogs didn't notice him so I could watch and be reminded of all the Benjamin Bunny and Peter Rabbit stories from when my kids were little. 


I wondered what he was thinking.  

When I got home I quickly doodled him into an illustration and that was as far as I got for a few days.


The days became weeks and before I knew it I had a few days left and so I made a very simple concertina book.  My plan is to do the illustrations and text on separate pieces of paper and glue them on to the pages I have created, both covering the ribbon I have used to attach the clasp and bulk out the 'book', which is why the clasp is currently a bit more loose than it should be.  Fingers crossed it will all come out right. 

You can find more of Niky's work on her blog
http://silverniknats.blogspot.co.uk/

I am looking forward to seeing what the others created with this clasp and you can click below to follow the blogs with me.





12 comments:

  1. I love where this is going Laney - cant wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you use the clasp, what a great idea! And I can't wait to see it filled with all your images! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your idea to use to clasp for a book. It is going to be really cute when it is done. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This...is...utterly...adorable! Such an outside-the-box idea! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a great idea to use the button as a closure for a book. Wanting to read what the Bunny rabbit is thinking :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous idea.. I love it!! Look forward to seeing it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous idea for Niky’s clasp! I love your drawings and can’t wait to see what you fill these pages with.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever and totally unique idea. Your illustration is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderfully creative way to use a clasp - I love it! Your drawing is beautiful and I can't wait to see what this book looks like finished! Thank you so much for joining in Laney.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see the illustrations Laney! Please share your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, what a cool way to use that clasp! Yes, please show us the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I cannot wait! SO glad the hare escaped the notice of the hounds. What a romp that would have been.... The lunar hare is like my favorite myth/motif ever...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my corner of the blogging world :)